If you suspect you have an allergy, we would be delighted to see you at the Surrey Allergy Clinic for a comprehensive allergy consultation including, specific allergy skin tests. All face-to-face consultations and allergy testing appointments are currently suspended and we don’t expect these to resume before October 2021 due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. During the COVID-19 debacle, we are instead offering a full virtual online consultation service. This may not be suitable all allergy problems that may be better catered for with a face-to-face consultation. We won’t be able to offer skin prick testing nor allergen patch testing during this time. Allergy Testing would be performed at a Pathology Laboratory nearby. We would then integrate these blood test results into the consultation report. Please contact us via the Consultation page and let us know what sort of allergy related problem you are experiencing and then we will advise whether we can accommodate you and what the projected cost of the allergy testing would be. We hope to reintroduce a full allergy diagnostic service in the not too distant future depending on COVID-19 developments.
- The average initial allergy consultation lasts 30 to 40 minutes, but please come 10 minutes early to provide your details and complete our questionnaire.
- Stop all antihistamine medication for at least 2 days before your appointment. Continue taking all other regular medication and asthma inhalers.
- We see all age groups including children who can be safely allergy tested from 4 months of age.
- You do not need a referral from your GP although we may find a referral letter and past medical details helpful.
- After the consultation, will be sent a full allergy report and management plan by post. Only with your permission, will a copy be sent to your GP.
- Your personal details are data protected and will under no circumstances be passed on to any third party without your express permission.
Ten Harley Street (Central London) Telephone 0208 144 2994/07920 129154
- Monday morning or afternoon
- Wednesday afternoon
- Friday morning or afternoon
- Saturday morning
Guildford Nuffield Hospital (Guildford) Telephone 0208 144 2994/07920 129154
- Tuesday morning and afternoon
- Thursday morning and afternoon
Spire Hospital Clare Park (Farnham) apologies currently unavailable
What to expect from your initial consultation
- The consultation involves a comprehensive allergy, medical and personal history discussion.
- You will then have a physical examination including lung function testing.
- At the consultation you will have skin scratch tests performed from a repertoire of test allergens specific to your allergy symptoms. These tests are individualised to your specific disease and symptoms.
- The results of your allergy test will be made available during this initial consultation.
- You will be given a management plan to combat your allergy and this may involve certain avoidance measures, symptom controls as well as preventer and reliever medication or desensitisation.
- Occasionally additional blood or RAST tests may need to be performed and we then use TDL, an accredited private Pathology Laboratory to undertake these tests on your blood sample.
- You will not usually require a follow up consultation, but should there be a suboptimal response to treatment then we would recommend further physical evaluation after 4 weeks treatment.
Allergy test procedure
- We normally recommend Skin Scratch Testing or Allergen Patch Tests to the suspected culprit allergens.
- These tests are performed at the consultation and are included in the £240 fee.
- Tests involve applying a droplet of each allergen to the skin of the forearm. The skin is then scratched through the sterile allergen droplet allowing allergen to penetrate the skin.
- The skin reaction is read after 15 minutes and a positive test would be indicated by a wheal and flare reaction of approximately 3 to 10mm.
- With over 40 test allergens and mixes available, the choice of allergen is tailored to your symptoms. Approximately 10 to 20 specific allergens or mixes will tested during your consultation. These would include House Dust Mite, Cat Dander, Dog Dander, Tree and Grass Pollens, Mould Spore as well as other allergens. Food groups tested include Dairy protein, Egg, Wheat, Gluten, Oats, Barley, Rye, Corn, Rice, Soy, Fish, Nuts and others.
- We also perform a positive histamine test to ensure quality control.
- These tests are safe to perform and do not result in any systemic reaction or ill effect. It is however advisable to have another adult present to distract or entertain young children during the test procedure which is well tolerated by small children.
- If you do suspect an uncommon or rare exotic food allergen, then please bring a sample along to the consultation with you.
Initial consultation £240
- The all-inclusive fee for your initial consultation is £240.
- This includes the discussion, physical examination, lung function tests, allergy skin tests and management plan plus any e-mail follow-up or queries.
Follow-up Consultation £180
- All follow up consultations are charged at £180 and last 30 minutes.
- This fee includes any further skin allergen testing. Blood tests if necessary will be billed separately by the TDL Pathology Laboratory or County Pathology.
Payment terms: Important Please read carefully.
- We are only able to accept cash or personal cheques. Unfortunately there are no credit or debit card facilities at the clinic.
- Your consultation fee must be settled in full at the time of your consultation.
- Medical insurers such as BUPA, Pru Health, Cigna, Simply Health, AXA etc. do not cover the consultation fee as Dr Morris does not hold a substantive NHS Consultant post. You will therefore need to settle your account on the day and recover the payment from your medical insurer.
- Late cancellations (less than 24 hours notice) are subject to a £60 facility charge.
For any queries regarding the allergy consultation telephone or please e-mail us at email@example.com
Privacy and Compliance Policy:
Information displayed on this website is meant to complement and not replace any advice from another healthcare professional. It is the intended mission of this website to provide information on allergies and allergy testing to the general public. Our audience includes members of the pubic, healthcare professionals and students resident in the UK. Privacy and confidentiality will be strictly maintained regarding email addresses, and no personal or medical information will be displayed on this website. We conform to the legal requirements in the UK including medical and personal information privacy. Our content is strictly the original researched medical articles written only by Dr Adrian Morris and no other externally sourced information is displayed other than those clearly referenced in the text. Last modification dates are displayed at the end of all articles. Any testing procedures or allergy treatments recommended are validated by consensus of allergy experts around the world. No unproven allergy treatments or tests will be recommended in the articles on this website. The Surrey Allergy Clinic and its website receive no external funding from any commercial or pharmaceutical company or their agents. It is our strict policy not to display any advertisements or enter into any financial arrangement with external sources for gain. Consequently the site does not host or accept any advertisements. We make no testing or treatment recommendations for personal economic benefit.
Updated by Dr Adrian Morris on 1st May 2021.